Corey Ray Mineral Wells Stage Race 2012

Cat 1 Crit by Corey Ray
Day one started out rainy cold about 45 degrees. I did not get a chance to pre ride the course. We arrived with 15 minutes to spare and then I had a chance to preview the course in the misty rain. The course was rather technical with a big ring power climb in the middle of it. There was a slight crosswind on each of the straight away sections. After riding the course it was time to line up. The first lap was slow with everybody getting a feel for the rain and concrete. The next to laps Collin and myself tried to separate each other from the pack. On lap 3 Collin was on my wheel and I was at the front of the pack. I started to put in a slight effort and drifted away from the pack on the back straight away with the cross wind. For the next 3 or so laps I went as hard as I could up the hill and held it on the straight away building my breakaway. From this point on I did not use my brakes in the rain on the corners. I knew that if I could keep my power and speed up in the corners I would have a chance to stay a away. I was getting plenty of feedback from spectators on my time gap. It grew from 20 to 30 to 45 seconds. At one point I could look across to where the peloton was from atop the hill. Jesse would yell at me my time splits and then tell me that I was his hero. Mike Lalla would tell me to settle into a rhythm that I could hold for an hour. I found that rhythm the best I could and continued on with my head down focusing on breathing deep. As the laps past the time gap fluctuated anywhere from 20 seconds backup to 30 seconds. I did not start focusing on how many laps I had to go until lap 8. With 5 laps to go Mario was of the front of the pack and gaining time on me. I knew that I could take a few breathers through out the course of the .6 miles lap. It definitely paid off when it hit 3 laps to go. Mario got really really close maybe 10 seconds. Jesse would scream at me each lap, "Go go go faster faster faster, Mario is gaining on you, you gotta go now, come on Corey two more laps!" To me it was gut check time and I had to dig really deep. I took it easier with 2 laps to go. I let Mario get really close and then dropped the hammer 1 last time. Coming over the hill the last time I could see that I was going to win. the only thought that was crossing my mind as I was going through the last 2 turns was do not go down in the slick rain. After I made the turn, then accelerated back up to speed I looked back to check one last time. At this moment I knew that I won my first p 1 race. The feeling that I got coming down the finishing line with the rain in my face and a grin ear to ear was beyond words. I threw one of my fist in the air staring down the finishing line like it was my enemy that I just defeated. Once I crossed both hands lifted in the air. I did it! Team PACC did it!